The ability to effectively influence stakeholders is a core skill required by all public health professionals and the overall objective of this course is to equip participants to find their leadership space in the public health sector and step into it so that they can actively influence decisions which impact them.
The training is offered with an Action Learning approach to support learning and development and allows participants to apply their learning to their current workload. The training is based on typical examples experienced within public health settings that reflect the challenges that public health professionals are facing and address the challenges of working in a politically sensitive environment.
The training will provide participants with:
- The ability to identify influencing opportunities
- An understanding of how to build personal credibility
- The ability to influence people from a variety of cultures and backgrounds
- Approaches to building effective relationships
- The ability to work collaboratively with a range of stakeholders
- An understanding of the importance of communication skills in influencing people.
By the end of the course, participants will:
- Understand their leadership role and the qualities/skills required to be successful in it
- Use a model for influencing without authority
- Influence others in a way they like to be influenced
- Use effective two way communication skills
- Manage difficult people and difficult conversations
- Understand how to resolve conflicts and know how to achieve win/win outcomes
Previous participant feedback received includes:
“The use of diagrammatic illustrations was excellent for visual learners!”
“An excellent, thoroughly enjoyable session – thank you!”
“Excellent handbook – good summaries and space to annotate”
“I really enjoyed the course – good mix of exercises, questions and information”
“Provided awareness of influencing styles (personal) and how to influence others using
their preferred style in the approach”
“One of the best training days I’ve attended”
Cancellations due to unforeseen circumstances may occur at any time. Where dates are varied by PHAST, course participants may request a full refund if the new dates are not convenient. Please see our full cancellation policy.