Advanced Skills in Fertility Awareness
Module I: Wednesday, 16th and Thursday, 17th October 2019
Module II: Two full days in May 2020 TBC
Venue: Holm Oak, Lincombe Lane, Boars Hill, OX1 5DU
The advanced skills course covers the theory and practice of fertility awareness methods (FAMs) for planning and avoiding pregnancy. This intensive four-day training is relevant to doctors, nurses and midwives working in general practice, family planning, fertility clinics and sexual and reproductive health care. FAMs are increasingly in demand from women and couples for ecological and medical reasons; cultural, religious and moral reasons or as a lifestyle choice. These natural methods also help to address health inequalities across minority ethnic groups. The credibility of FAMs is well-established - they are highly effective when motivated couples are taught a combination of indicators by suitably-trained practitioners. European effectiveness studies show a pregnancy rate of 1.8% with typical use. (Frank-Hermann 2007)
To enable participants to achieve professional competence to offer fertility awareness methods as part of a comprehensive range of sexual and reproductive health care services.
- Integrate FA into pre-conception, contraceptive, sexual and reproductive health consultations.
- Examine the role of different fertility indicators and their appropriateness in specific circumstances.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of FAMs using combined indicators for avoiding pregnancy across the reproductive lifespan.
Teaching and learning style
The theoretical aspects of each topic will be covered using seminar style, followed by practical applications, charting exercises and role-play. Course materials include a course manual, workbook and laminated client teaching materials. E-learning is used where appropriate with telephone and email supervision and support available between study days. Formative and summative assessment is made on theoretical aspects and the practicalities of client teaching.
- Pre-course preparation is required with a pre-course assessment on the first day of Module I.
- The course textbook is The Complete Guide to Fertility Awareness, Jane Knight (Routledge 2017)
The course will be valid for CPD credits from the Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare (6 credits per day). A certificate of competence will be awarded to those participants who successfully complete the course.
Cost: £1,125 (inclusive VAT)
This inclusive fee covers the four-day taught course (including lunch and refreshments); course manual, workbook and laminated teaching cards; examination fees and up to 2 hours online or telephone supervision and support during the course. Additional supervision can be arranged at participant’s own expense. Participants who do not achieve the required level of competence in their examination, will be responsible for any additional tutorial fees and re-examination costs.
- Dr Cecilia Pyper, Hon Research Fellow, NPEU, University of Oxford and Consultant to Fertility UK
- Jane Knight, Fertility Nurse Specialist, Fertility UK, Oxford & London
- Dr Liz Azzopardi, Associate Specialist, CASH, Oxford
Course Administration: Course registration will be administered online through www.phast.org.uk/training
Please advise any special dietary or mobility requirements at the time of registration - please click on the Add to Cart link to register and use the text box provided for any comments/special requirements.
For further details, please email Jane Knight at Fertility UK: email@example.com.